Monday 14 July 2008

Pierre Huyghe

When I'm asked 'who's your favourite artist', the first person who springs to mind is Pierre Huyghe. In 2007 a retrospective of his work was held at the Tate Modern. As soon as I walked through the (moving) front doors I was interested. But if I'm honest some of the work (which you can see in the video) was a bit 'meh'. I understand the idea and concept of ownership; it was just a bit impersonal and dry.

But then I saw his video work, in particular ‘Streamside Day’ and something just clicked. Inventing a carnival for a new housing development is more than just telling stories and exploring the concept of ownership (there’s that word again). There's warmth and a human quality to it.

You'll find little about Pierre on the Internet. Have a look at his Wikipedia page, read about his journey to find an albino penguin and if you have a chance to go to a gallery and look at his work, go. You won’t regret it.


No comments: